Announcement- August 14, 2014 regarding "Critical Error" while publishing pages in SharePoint
Internet Explorer 11 rolled out on campus
Internet Explorer 11 has been available off-campus to download since last October and is now being rolled out on campus. Your windows machines will autoupdate to the new release soon. For most users, this will not affect them in any way (other than having a newer, faster, updated web browser) but for campus Web Editors, you will need to take the following steps- most likely every time you start an editing session depending upon your security settings- in order to continue editing.
* Please note* you will need to do this on any machine that you start editing on. The reason for this is, IE11 and our current version of SharePoint do not play well together. We're using SharePoint 2010, which was released four years and ago, and the new version of IE has issues with it. We're in the process of updating to the new version of SharePoint, SP2013, in the upcoming fiscal year, which will alleviate the need to go through the steps below.
Thank you for your patience.
If you have any questions regarding this, please either visit the Web Team during Open Lab Hours or drop me a line at email@example.com.
STEPS TO START EDITING USING INTERNET EXPLORER 11
- Identify if you actually have IE11. To do this, launch Internet Explorer and along the top menu bar select "Help". Then click on "About Internet Explorer". The pop up screen will indicate which version of IE you have installed.
- Log in as a Web Editors as you normally would on providence.edu http://www.providence.edu/login
- Once you have logged in, move your cursor over to the tools menu- it looks like a little gear at the top right corner of your browser window. If you hover over it, it will say "Tools". Click on it.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Please select "Compatibility View Settings".
- Providence.edu should appear in the "Add This Website" box. Just click the add button and then close. You are now good to go! Depending upon your browser security settings, you may need to go through this process every time (like I do) you begin an editing session.