How do I connect to the wireless network?
See Connecting to the Wireless Network.
How do I connect to the wired network in my residence hall?
You need a computer with an ethernet adapter and an ethernet cable. We recommend a cable about 25 feet in length to accommodate any rearranging of furniture. Ethernet cables can be purchased at the PC Bookstore. You will simply need to plug your cable into your computer and into the jack in the wall. The active jacks have a blue icon next to them.
Are there any restrictions on the network?
We actively block peer-to-peer traffic, such as Bit Torrent, as a policy. See the Copyright and File Sharing page from our Information Security Officer.
Are there any requirements for computers connected to the college network?
All computers connect to the network must be up-to-date with all security patches. They must also be running anti-virus software with up-to-date virus definitions.
My network connection is not working. How can I fix it?
If you have a Windows computer, you can try the following steps. Otherwise, contact the Helpdesk.
- Make sure network cable is securely plugged into both the
computer and the wall jack (students in residence halls should be
plugged into a jack with a blue dot next to it).
- Check with other people in your office or on your floor to see if they have connectivity.
- Reboot your computer.
- Try running the following commands:
- Click on the Start menu.
- Type "cmd" (without the quotation marks) in the search box.
- Right-click on the cmd entry and choose "Run as administrator".
- In the command prompt window, type "netsh winsock reset" (without the quotation marks) and hit the Enter key.
- Next type "netsh int ip reset" (without the quotation marks) and hit the Enter key.
- You will need to reboot your computer after running these 2 commands.
- Call the Helpdesk at 401-865-4357 if it is still not working.
How to find your MAC address