Navigate Up
Sign In

​Frequently Asked Questions

1Squid-guys1.jpg1) I am thinking of submitting a proposal and need advice on identifying a sponsor and submitting a proposal. When do I contact the office?

It is never too early in the grant-seeking process to contact the office. Feel free to contact the director to discuss your ideas and determine if external funding opportunities might be available to support your scholarly activities. If you have already identified a funding opportunity, the office needs a minimum of five business days advanced notice (and in some more complicated cases up to two weeks) to sufficiently support your submission and receive institutional approvals. 

2) What is the process for routing and approval of grant proposals? 

Proposals must be routed and approved prior to submission. See the required grant routing form for more details.

3) What kinds of support can the office offer? 

From identifying a sponsor, assisting with submission forms, developing the project’s budget, reviewing the guidelines against the proposal narrative to submitting the proposal and negotiating the terms and conditions of the award, the office can help at all stages of your project. Click here to see a full listing of the services provided by the office.

4) I am coming up for sabbatical soon. When is the best time to contact the office to explore external funding for sabbatical work?

It is always best to start your search for sabbatical support 18 months in advance of your planned sabbatical.

5) Does the Office of Sponsored Research & Programs handle gifts from individual donors, foundations, or corporations or fellowships?

No, the office does not handle gifts. These should continue to be coordinated through the Office of Institutional Advancement. However, the office is happy to help with individual fellowship applications. 

6) I’ve been funded. Now, what?

The Director of Sponsored Research & Programs will review and, as appropriate, negotiate the terms and conditions of the award on behalf of the College. The grant award will receive an organization number in Banner. The Director of Sponsored Research & Programs reviews reporting requirements with the Principal Investigator and Financial Services.

7) What is effort reporting?

Effort Reporting is our means of providing assurance to sponsors that:

  • Salaries charged to sponsored projects are reasonable in relation to the work performed, and
  • Faculty and staff have met their commitments to sponsored projects.

Faculty who receive Time and Effort reports should return reports as soon as possible as they must be on file for audit. 

8) My proposal wasn’t funded. What happens next?

Review the comments with a trusted colleague in your discipline as well as the Sponsored Research & Programs Office. Take stock, make revisions, and try again. Don’t become discouraged and don’t take it personally. Most proposals are not funded on their first submission.

9) Is there anyone to help when I have problems, issues, or questions during the implementation and administration of a grant-funded project?

Questions of a financial nature should be directed to Charles Ouellette, senior financial analyst at 865-2925. Questions related to policies, procedures, or any others should be directed to Kris Monahan at 865-2554.

Image: From left: Jean-Pierre Sarkis '10, Colin Samoriski '11, Dr. Joseph DeGiorgis, assistant professor of biology, and Billy Dundon '10.

Catholic and Dominican

What does it mean to be a Catholic and Dominican college? We invite you to explore this question and the distinctive mission of Providence College.
About Providence College's Catholic and Dominican Identity